Once you install your custom mirror wardrobes, the new shine and clear reflections give it a sleek appearance. However, you may notice unsightly marks in a few days or weeks, especially if you have pets and young children. Their dirty or sticky paws and fingers may leave streaks all over the glossy exterior making the glass dull.
Our guide below will provide tips on keeping your mirror wardrobe doors as good as new.
Is installing wardrobes with mirrors a good idea?
Sliding wardrobes, especially those with mirrors, are an ultra-modern trend that can help increase your home’s value. They are stylish, add sophistication and practicality, and help to lighten even a dull interior. Your small room can double in size and save limited space by installing these sleek doors.
Additionally, they enhance the natural light streaming into the room, and having white walls can be an added advantage. However, if you have a wooden interior, the contrast creates a classic, warm look that cosies up your bedroom.
Although most people install mirror wardrobes to save space, they can be an excellent addition to a large spacious room. Instead of sliding doors, you can install hinged wardrobes, and if you have four or more entries, only add a mirror to one or two of them.
Tip on how to care for mirror wardrobes
Having built-in wardrobes with mirrors in your bedroom reflects the light, giving an illusion of a large and spacious room. Keeping the surfaces clean through regular maintenance is essential to avoid a dirty appearance. Follow the following four simple tips to keep them attractive as ever.
- Find the right cleaning product
Finding products that are ideal for cleaning glass or mirrors is necessary if you are to keep them in sparkly condition. The best product should be able to clean off any dirt without leaving marks behind. Besides using branded products from the store, you can also incorporate home remedies that use natural products.
- Store-bought cleaning brands
These concentrated chemical solutions are fragrant, ready to use, and available in most stores. When shopping for mirror cleaning brands, look for those that provide a clean shine – they don’t have to be the most expensive.
- Warm water and vinegar
Mix warm water with white vinegar into a spray bottle as a simple home remedy that is equally efficient and kind to your skin. For instance, a medium-sized bottle might hold ¼ litre of water and 4 tablespoons of white vinegar. Ensure you shake the mixture, and you can store it for future use.
- Warm water and liquid soap
You can also use your regular home detergent by mixing a few teaspoons with a small amount of water into a spray bottle. Shake to mix, and your solution is ready to use. However, the soap solution can leave behind streaks or flow into the corners. To prevent this, spray the mixture onto the cloth instead of the mirror.
- Warm water and lemon juice
If you do not have white vinegar, squeeze some lemon juice into warm water, which works perfectly.
- Use the appropriate cloth
When cleaning glass or mirror surfaces, a microfibre cloth is best. It is soft and absorbent, meaning it won’t leave scratches or streaks behind. Alternatively, you can use paper towels, although they are not reusable like cloth.
- Ensure the hinges and tracks are dust-free
Vacuum along the tracks and behind the hinges to keep your mirror wardrobes completely clean. This prevents dirt from collecting into the crevices and entering the wardrobe’s interior. Your doors will also glide smoothly every time, making it easier to access your clothing.
- Replace cracked or damaged mirrors
Consider replacing your mirror wardrobe doors if you notice cracks or broken edges. Cover the surface using cardboard for immediate safety and contact your installer for replacement.
How to properly clean mirror wardrobes
The below step-by-step process shows you how to properly clean mirror wardrobes once you have the right items.
- Step 1: Choose your preferred product from the above-listed options and mix it in a bucket with warm water if it is a quick home remedy. Add the solution to a spray bottle.
- Step 2: Pick your reusable microfiber cloth or have your paper towels ready if available.
- Step 3: Wet the cloth, squeeze any excess liquid and begin wiping down the glass, concentrating on areas with smudges and marks. If using dry newspaper or paper towels, spray a little product onto the mirror to prevent them from getting soggy.
- Step 4: Once you have attended to the visibly dirty areas, wipe the rest of the mirror surfaces in wide vertical motions, up and down. Repeat the process horizontally, side to side, until there are no visible lint or paper tracks.
- Step 5: Use a small nozzle to vacuum along the sliding tracks to remove dust or carpet fibres stuck inside. If there are liquid spills, use dry newspaper, paper towels, or cloth to soak them up. If you have hinges instead, wipe them using a damp towel and consider having someone replace or fix any that appear loose.
- Step 6: Repeat this process until the entire wardrobe is sparkling clean and there are no wet streaks. Discard the used paper towels. Rinse the damp cloth and leave it out to dry for the next cleaning.
Once you finish, admire your hard work and the as-good-as-new clean reflection.
Regular maintenance and care for mirror wardrobes are necessary to keep them in good condition for a long time. If you are looking for contemporary custom cabinets, then contact Betta Wardrobes. We are interior experts in all things wardrobe in Sydney and will help you choose and install the perfect wardrobe for your space.